Thursday 30 August 2012

Total Recall 2012 review

To be honest, I have never been a huge fan of Total Recall. I would watch it and still enjoy it, but it wasn't among my list of favorite films.
I enjoyed the bloody violence and the bad jokes, but most of all I enjoyed the story.
I went to the cinema yesterday to see the rebooted version thinking that the script/story-line would be as good as the original, but boy was I wrong. They had changed important elements of the story, which I didn't find to be a very good move.

The movie is loosely based on the 1966 novel 'We can remember it for you wholesale' written by Phillip K. Dick. 
The thing that really made the Total Recall of the 90's a film to remember, was the confusion. We never knew whether this was all in Douglas Quaid's head or if it was reality. The difference in the reboot is that as soon as everything goes wrong for Quaid, we immediately know that it is reality.
Many of the characters try to convince Quaid that it is all his imagination, but the audience is not convinced at all.

Colin Farrell as Douglas Quaid, is just okay in this movie. There were strong performances and also some weak performances. I wouldn't have specifically chosen him for the role, but his acting was just exceptional.
I wasn't a big fan of Kate Beckinsale's (Lori) performance in the movie. Her acting was almost over the top. Every time she came to the screen I was hoping that it would be better than her last scenes. Like Farrell's performance, some were strong and some not so.
To be honest, I rather liked Jessica Biel's performance as Melina. I found her piece to be one of the best in the movie. Despite her previous positive comments, she too suffered from the strong performance and the rather not so good performances.

I found the movie to be fun, but it was mainly about how much Special effects they could use. 
One of the only things I liked about the movie were the easter eggs which were put in the movie. For example: When Quaid is going through an airport (whatever you call it), we see a woman who looks vaguely like the disguise which Douglas uses in the 90's version, but instead we find him to be in more of a manly disguise.

Overall, I will give this 5.5 out of 10.

State what you thought of it in the comments...

No comments: